After over a decade of failed attempts to adapt it as both a movie and a TV series, Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra’s acclaimed post-apocalyptic comic book series Y: The Last Man is finally about to make it to the small screen. The 60-issue series revolves around Yorick Brown and his pet monkey, Ampersand, who are the sole surviving males on planet Earth after a mysterious event wipes out half of the world’s population. The show is set up at FX and now this week the primary cast has been announced. Yorick will be played by rising star Barry Keoghan, best known for his performances in The Killing of a Sacred Deer and Dunkirk. The rest of the cast is as follows:
- Imogen Poots (Green Room) as Hero Brown, Yorick’s sister
- Diane Lane (Under the Tuscan Sun) as Senator Jennifer Brown, Yorick’s mother
- Lashana Lynch (Captain Marvel) as Agent 355, a secret agent assigned to protect Yorick
- Juliana Canfield (Succession) as Beth, Yorick’s girlfriend
- Marin Ireland (Sneaky Pete) as Nora, the president’s senior assistant and right hand
No word yet on who will play geneticist Dr. Allison Mann, another key character in the comic (assuming she hasn’t been cut out of the show). Michael Green (Blade Runner 2049) and Aida Mashaka Croal (Luke Cage, Jessica Jones) will serve as co-showrunners while Melina Matsoukas (Insecure, Master of None) will direct the pilot and executive produce. Brian K. Vaughan is also involved as executive producer. What do you think of the cast for Y: The Last Man?