With Spider-Man: Homecoming set to hit theatres in a little over a month, Sony is also preparing yet another a re-release of Sam Raimi’s original Spider-Man trilogy on Blu-ray to coincide with that. While that wouldn’t necessarily be huge news in and of itself, there is an interesting wrinkle to this new collection: it will apparently feature a brand new cut of the heavily criticized Spider-Man 3. While this doesn’t appear to be a director’s cut from Sam Raimi himself, we are hearing that it is an “Editor’s Cut” and a slip-up by Amazon over the weekend allowed some fans to get a sneak peek at this new version as well. Topher Grace fan edit anyone? Hit the jump to find out what we know.
According to posts over at Bluray.com, Amazon briefly offered a new Editor’s Cut of Spider-Man 3 for purchase over the weekend. After getting their hands on the new version, some diligent fans have already gone through and identified several changes to the movie including the following:
- The scene with Aunt May in Peter’s apartment giving back his engagement ring has been removed
- The scene where Peter apologizes to his landlord while trying to call MJ has been removed
- Willem Dafoe’s line “First, we attack his heart!” has been removed
- New shots of Peter wearing the symbiote suit have been added
- A scene where Sandman forms a sandcastle in the park has been added
- New music from Christopher Young’s original score has been restored
As you can probably guess, the emo Peter Parker stuff and the infamous nightclub scene are still in the movie (thank god). It is still unclear exactly how this new version of the movie will be made available. The Spider-Man Trilogy Limited Edition Collection hits stores on June 13th and it seems likely it will be included there. Based on Amazon’s mistake, it appears that it will be available via Digital HD as well. No word on whether the so-called “Spider-Man Legacy Collection” featuring all five movies (Sam Raimi’s trilogy and both Amazing Spider-Man movies) in 4K is still planned. Are you excited to see a new cut of Spider-Man 3?