Late last week it was being rumoured around the web that Kick-Ass director Matthew Vaughn was in negotiations to direct X-Men: First Class… which was a bit of a surprise considering that he had previously dropped out of X-Men 3 at the last minute and left Fox hanging. This week it now appears that Vaughn is no longer in the running, but there is still a long list of directors being considered for the job. Potential candidates include:
- Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted)
- Louis Leterrier (The Incredible Hulk, Clash of the Titans)
- David Slade (30 Days of Night, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse)
- Samuel Bayer (A Nightmare on Elm Street)
- Daniel Espinosa (Snabba Cash)
- Carl Erick Rinsch (previously attached to the Alien prequel)
Bryan Singer is not on the list, apparently because he has come on board as a producer instead. Do you see anyone here that would be an ideal match? X-Men: First Class is a comedic prequel of sorts involving younger versions of many of the X-Men characters, and no doubt Fox is hoping it will be a chance to essentially reboot the franchise. Depending on what happens with Wolverine 2, it looks like this could be the next X-Men movie to hit theatres. Who would you like to see direct X-Men: First Class?
Update: Looks like Matthew Vaughn got the gig after all.