When a movie costs over $300 million to make, high expectations are a given, and such is certainly the case with James Cameron’s Avatar. Many people are eagerly waiting and hoping it will live up to the hype, while others want nothing more than to watch the movie fail miserably. Analysts have been wondering if the movie can possibly hope to turn a profit at this point, and with much of the marketing for the movie failing to hit the mark, some fans still remain skeptical.
But should we really be doubting the man who brought us such films as Terminator 1 and 2, Aliens, and Titanic? He promised us a cinematic revolution, and perhaps he knows what he’s talking about. The first wave of press have just seen Avatar within the past 24 hours, and early reactions are starting to trickle out. Although reviews are embargoed until next Friday, The Sun went ahead and published this rave write-up, and various other bloggers have begun to let their feelings known (where else?) on Twitter.
It’s hard to tell if this is more than just fanboy pandemonium, but right now the early response is looking overwhelmingly positive. Will it be enough to bring Avatar the box office breakthrough that it needs? Are you buying into the hype yet? Check out a few of the recent Twitter comments after the jump.
- Peter Hall, Cinematical: The AVATAR buzz is an understatement. That movie was unbelievable.
- Erik Davis, Cinematical: Avatar screening in Texas just let out – exit polls reveal lots of happy people who were blown away
- ComingSoon.net: Okay, about Avatar?…. WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW! Unbelievable… amazing. James Cameron has done it again.
- C. Robert Cargill, Ain’t It Cool News: So I just got back from a movie. It was pretty great…if by pretty great I mean OMFGHOLYFUCKINGSHITOMGOMGOMG. Because that’s what it was.
- Rob Worley, Mania.com: AVATAR will not be critic-proof. The story is familiar and ALL the usual Cameron archetypes are in play. I dug it anyway.
- Alex Billington, FirstShowing.net: James Cameron is a freakin’ genius! I can’t say much but wow, I loved it. Avatar was phenomenal, pretty much blew me away.